Skip to main content
About Government Documents
- What is a government document?
Any informational material produced by a government agency: state, federal, or international level.
- Does the library receive all government documents produced?
No, we are a selective depository library. This means we get to select the types of documents we receive. Currently, we select about 54% of documents available. We also subscribe to Documents Without Shelves, which gets the library a link to all of the currently produced electronic documents produced.
- What's in the collections and where are they?
* One-time monographic publications, annual reports, periodicals, maps, posters, studies, research reports, statistical compilations, census data, regulations, laws, treaties, compact discs, and DVD's.
* New government documents are included in the Library's online catalog.
* Many publications are now issued only in electronic form and are linked in the Library's online catalog.
* Physical documents may be found on the 2nd floor of the library.
- Who is allowed to use government documents?
EVERYONE! You do not need to be a university student, faculty or staff member.
- How do I check out government documents?
If you are not affiliated with UNK, a community user's card can be obtained at the circulation desk. Most documents can be checked out for four weeks.
- How do I locate a government document?
Most documents are searchable via the Library's online catalog.
For databases helpful to locating documents, click here.
- How did the library become a depository?
* Libraries must be appointed by a member of Congress to be a depository.
* Each Representative or Senator may designate two depository libraries in his/her district or state.
* The Library was designated a federal depository in 1962. C.T. Ryan Library is one of two federal depository libraries in Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District, roughly two-thirds of the geographical area of Nebraska.
, Communications, Media and Journalism
, Counseling & School Psychology
, Curriculum Collections
, Government Documents
, Kinesiology & Sport Sciences
, Travel & Tourism