- Add additional keywords
- In databases, subject terms can help you identify more narrow topics and keywords.
- Choose more narrow search terms
- Broader term: law
- Narrower term: environmental law
- Use limiters
- These are things like search fields (title or abstract), publication date, and format type.
- Search for a short phrase with quotation marks
- “environmental law”
- “environmental justice”
What is a subject term?
Subject terms describe what a work is about. Every item in a database is assigned one or more subject terms. Subject terms can help you identify effective keywords. Most databases list subjects in their search results.