10 Reasons to Learn This Stuff
10. This tutorial and its contents will familiarize you with the basic terms and concepts used to describe information sources.
9. Through reading and understanding the professional literature, you will gradually acquire the jargon or language of your subject area and then be able to communicate your knowledge with seasoned pros.
8. Your new knowledge will spare you from the frustration of being lost in Google or a sand trap of information.
7. The information you find will influence your approach toward your research.
6. The success of your research often depends on how well you know the tools and resources of your field.
5. Time is $$ in research; wasting time = wasting money.
4. You just might increase your appreciation for your subject area and how it got to where it is.
3. Professionals are expected to know what's going on in their field (this includes you).
2. Your grade can be affected by what you know and can do.
1. Your professors and advisors will think you have initiative (and may be more likely to help you with your own academic or professional goals).